The first well-researched contrastive pragmatic analysis of requests and apologies in British English and Uruguayan Spanish.
Tue Sep 18 2001
It takes the form of a cross-cultural corpus-based analysis using male and female native speakers of each language and systematically alternating the same social variables in both cultures. The data are elicited from a non-prescriptive open role-play yielding requests and apologies.
- Macromedia Flash MX for Windows and Macintosh: Visual QuickStart Guide;
- Sadhguru: More Than a Life.
- Ring Opening Metathesis Polymerisation and Related Chemistry: State of the Art and Visions for the New Century (Nato Science Series II:);
- Tue Sep 18 2001;
The analysis of the speech acts is based on an adaptation of the categorical scheme developed by Blum-Kulka et al. The results show that speakers of English and Spanish differ in their choice of in directness levels, head-act modifications, and the politeness types of males and females in both cultures. Reference to an extensive bibliography and the thorough discussion of methodological issues concerning speech act studies deserve the attention of students of pragmatics as well as readers interested in cultural matters.
- Linguistic Politeness in Britain and Uruguay : Rosina Marquez-Reiter : ?
- Linguistic Politeness in Britain and Uruguay.
- ACCA P3 Business Analysis: Practice and Revision Kit!
- Doctor Who the Handbook: The First Doctor!
- Rosina Márquez Reiter eBooks - iqegumybiwyf.ml.
- Review: Marquez Reiter, Politeness in Britain & Uruguay.
- Classical Fourier Transforms.
See All Customer Reviews. Shop Books. Add to Wishlist.
Linguistic Politeness in Britain and Uruguay: A Contrastive Study of Requests and Apologies
USD Problem URL. Describe the connection issue. SearchWorks Catalog Stanford Libraries. Linguistic politeness in Britain and Uruguay : a contrastive study of requests and apologies. Physical description xvii, p.
Online Available online. Full view.
Green Library. M37 Unknown. More options. Find it at other libraries via WorldCat Limited preview.
VTLS Chameleon iPortal System Error Occurred.
Bibliography Includes bibliographical references p. Contents 1. List of figures-- 2. Acknowledgements-- 3.
Introduction-- 4. Politeness theory-- 5. Speech act theory and politeness: Requests and apologies-- 6. Structure of the study and methodology-- 7. The findings: Requests-- 8. The findings: Apologies-- 9. Conclusion--