View other formats and editions. Angus Gowland investigates the theory of melancholy and its many applications in the Renaissance by means of a wide-ranging contextual analysis of Robert Burton's encyclopaedic Anatomy of Melancholy first published in Approaching the Anatomy as the culmination of early modern medical, philosophical and spiritual inquiry about melancholy, Gowland examines the ways in which Burton exploited the moral psychology central to the Renaissance understanding of the condition to construct a critical vision of his intellectual and political environment.
In the first sustained analysis of the evolving relationship of the Anatomy in the various versions issued between and to late Renaissance humanist learning and early seventeenth-century England and Europe, Gowland corrects the prevailing view of the work as an unreflective digest of other authors' opinions, and reveals the Anatomy's character as a polemical literary engagement with the live intellectual, religious and political issues of its day.
Review of the hardback: ' Angus Gowland's new study demonstrates that there is still room in the field for fresh and stimulating work. Incisive and well-researched, Gowland's study offers readers a comprehensive and original examination of one of early modern England's most interesting thinkers. Added to basket. Shoukei Matsumoto. Marcus Aurelius. Rebel Ideas. Matthew Syed.
The Art of Logic. Eugenia Cheng.
The Worlds of Renaissance Melancholy: Robert Burton in Context
Lessons in Stoicism. John Sellars. Outgrowing God. Richard Dawkins. Hector Garcia. Jordan B. Utopia for Realists. Rutger Bregman. I Am Dynamite! Sue Prideaux. Enlightenment Now.
As a Lute out of Tune: Robert Burton’s Melancholy – The Public Domain Review
Steven Pinker. The School of Life. The History of Philosophy. To See Clearly. Advertisement Hide. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Project MUSE - Books Received?
- Product description!
- Changing Times for Black Professionals.
- Similar books and articles.
- The Worlds of Renaissance Melancholy by Angus Gowland;
- Affective Mapping: Melancholia and the Politics of Modernism;
- Creating Wealth with Jason Hartman - Book Two Shows 21 - 40?
This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access. Google Scholar. CrossRef Google Scholar. On conforming puritans in the early modern period, see Marcus K.
Menu de navigation
Daniel W. Hereinafter ODNB. Jennifer Radden ed. See also N.
Patrides ed. London; Dent; abridged edn, , 4. Samuel C. Pearson, Jr.
- Account Options!
- Follow the Author;
- Read Judaism and Enlightenment (Ideas in Context) Ebook Free?
- Download The Worlds Of Renaissance Melancholy Robert Burton In Context Ideas In Context ?
- Advanced Internet Services and Applications: First International Workshop, AISA 2002 Seoul, Korea, August 1–2, 2002 Proceedings.
- Teaching Assistants Guide to Dyspraxia (Teaching Assistants Series).
- The Worlds of Renaissance Melancholy by Angus Gowland | Waterstones?
Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan , Richard Tuck ed. Cambridge University Press, For an in-depth discussion, see James, Passion and Action , — Richard L. Oxford University Press, , 49— All further references are to this edition. See also Google Scholar. Keeble ed. See Douglas R.